[csw-users] Xfce 4.2.1.1 woes..

John Dempsey johnd at quaketech.com
Tue May 17 21:35:12 CEST 2005

Hi All,
Yesterday I installed the new Xfce on a couple of Solaris 8 workstations
varying results and would love some suggestions on what I need to do to solve
the issues.

System 1 is an Ultra 10, Solaris 8 with latest Recommended patch cluster, Sun
Gnome2 and KDE(not from CSW)
Xfce is the first CSW package installed on this system.
Pkg-get install xfce ran fine, and also ran pkg-get install xfce_dtlogin.
Pkginfo | grep CSWxfce only shows 4 packages (xfce, dtlogin, toys and utils)
(whereas system 2 showed 22 packages).
Xfce does not show up on the dtlogin menu (for root) even after a reboot.
I used 4.0.3 on system 2 before and It just worked the first time..
Any suggestions on where to start?

System 2 is Sunblade 100, with not quite the latest recommended patch cluster
(may do that tonight). It had SunGnome2, CSWgnome 2.8 and CSWkde3.3 and
CSWxfce 4.0.3(I think) previously installed.

Pass1:  Ran pkg-get install xfce fine, but doesnt get past the dtlogin screen
(as my userid, not root), just resets back to the dtlogin after entering a
password.

Pass2: did a Pkgrm on all CSWxfce components, to get rid of any possible
inconsistiencies between the versions and re-installed xfce 4.2.1.1.
Now, for root, Xfce starts up and displays the control panel ok, and exits
fine(I didn't test functionality past that)
Logging in with my userid, the desktop wallpaper gets displayed, the mouse
turns from a watch to an arrow, and the beginnings of the bar at the top of
the screen are displayed (just as a light grey bar) and it stops there, with
no reaction to mouse clicks anywhere.
Comparing running processes for my user id and root show that
xfce-mcs-manager, xfce4-panel and xfdesktop never start up for my userid.
I found that there were some files missing from my .config/xfce* folders,
copied them over from root, but it didnt help. I suspect these files are
created when the processes run for the first time, so putting the files there
may be irrelevant.
I've tried removing some of the dot files that seem to be related to xfce but
have come up dry.   Im back to using the Sun Gnome2 (CSWgnome2.8 was too slow
on my 500Mhz Sparc IIe) for now and I dont like it one bit..

As above, any help would be appreciated. System 1 is for another user, and may
also be the basis for a system image going forward, and I didnt want to have
to install CSWgnome2.8 and Kde3.3 if I didnt have to..

Thanks
JD