[csw-users] Xfce 4.2.1.1 woes..

Andreas Almroth aalmroth at blastwave.org
Thu May 19 12:49:00 CEST 2005

 > Hi All,
 > Yesterday I installed the new Xfce on a couple of Solaris 8 workstations
 > varying results and would love some suggestions on what I need to do
to solve
 > the issues.
 >
 > System 1 is an Ultra 10, Solaris 8 with latest Recommended patch
cluster, Sun
 > Gnome2 and KDE(not from CSW)
 > Xfce is the first CSW package installed on this system.
 > Pkg-get install xfce ran fine, and also ran pkg-get install
xfce_dtlogin.
 > Pkginfo | grep CSWxfce only shows 4 packages (xfce, dtlogin, toys and
utils)
 > (whereas system 2 showed 22 packages).
 > Xfce does not show up on the dtlogin menu (for root) even after a
reboot.
 > I used 4.0.3 on system 2 before and It just worked the first time..
 > Any suggestions on where to start?

In this case I suspect you might have an out-of-date catalog. The old
Xfce 4.0 had only four packages I believe. Run pkg-get -U, pkgrm -n <old
xfce pkgs>, and try pkg-get -i xfce again.
I sorted out an inconsistency with CSWxfcedtlogin the other day, and
hopefully that pkg is now available on the mirrors.

 > System 2 is Sunblade 100, with not quite the latest recommended patch
cluster
 > (may do that tonight). It had SunGnome2, CSWgnome 2.8 and CSWkde3.3 and
 > CSWxfce 4.0.3(I think) previously installed.
 >
 > Pass1:  Ran pkg-get install xfce fine, but doesnt get past the
dtlogin screen
 > (as my userid, not root), just resets back to the dtlogin after
entering a
 > password.
 >
 > Pass2: did a Pkgrm on all CSWxfce components, to get rid of any possible
 > inconsistiencies between the versions and re-installed xfce 4.2.1.1.
 > Now, for root, Xfce starts up and displays the control panel ok, and
exits
 > fine(I didn't test functionality past that)
 > Logging in with my userid, the desktop wallpaper gets displayed, the
mouse
 > turns from a watch to an arrow, and the beginnings of the bar at the
top of
 > the screen are displayed (just as a light grey bar) and it stops
there, with
 > no reaction to mouse clicks anywhere.
 > Comparing running processes for my user id and root show that
 > xfce-mcs-manager, xfce4-panel and xfdesktop never start up for my
userid.
 > I found that there were some files missing from my .config/xfce*
folders,
 > copied them over from root, but it didnt help. I suspect these files are
 > created when the processes run for the first time, so putting the
files there
 > may be irrelevant.

Try to move ~/.config, ~/.cache to some other place/name and re-run.
This will reset and create new configuration. If you copied files, did
you change ownership?

 > I've tried removing some of the dot files that seem to be related to
xfce but
 > have come up dry.   Im back to using the Sun Gnome2 (CSWgnome2.8 was
too slow
 > on my 500Mhz Sparc IIe) for now and I dont like it one bit..
 >
 > As above, any help would be appreciated. System 1 is for another
user, and may
 > also be the basis for a system image going forward, and I didnt want
to have
 > to install CSWgnome2.8 and Kde3.3 if I didnt have to..
 >
 > Thanks
 > JD

OK, all I can say for now, please try with the above and give us
feedback on the outcome.

/A