[csw-users] blastwave package question

Larry W. Virden lvirden at cas.org
Tue Aug 15 18:39:04 CEST 2006

I'm investigating the possible use of some blastwave packages. However,
I need to discover an answer to an administrative question.

When an administer does a pkgadd of a Sun package, some audit trail files
are created/updated in root file systems, so that one can query what
versions of the package are installed, etc.

When one uses the blastwave pkg_add command, is the same true? Are files
created in the root file system?

The system admins are concerned that use of the blastwave pkg_add will create
a situation where, when they apply Sun patches or upgrades, blastwave info
may be overwritten and someone would then need to reinstall the packages.

If pkg_add does do this, then is there a way to install things manually so
that such files need not be created (or at least not in root)?
--
Tcl - The glue of a new generation.  <URL: http://wiki.tcl.tk/ >
Larry W. Virden <mailto:lvirden at cas.org><URL: http://www.purl.org/NET/lvirden/ >