[csw-users] Problems with new Gnome on Solaris9/Sparc

Meik Hellmund Meik.Hellmund at math.uni-leipzig.de
Thu Aug 24 11:06:48 CEST 2006

I used the semester break to do my semiannual "pkg-get -uU"  on the big
sunray server of our institute (Solaris9/Sparc) and have, for the first time, serious
problems. Perhaps someone should put a big red warning sign
  "At this moment, 'unstable' really means unstable!!"
on the blastwave home page?

That's what I found out at the moment:
 - some binaries do not find their libraries from /opt/csw/lib

   #ldd /opt/csw/libexec/gnome-settings-daemon
    libXext.so.6.4 =>        (file not found)
    libX11.so.6.2 =>         (file not found)

   so I put "LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/opt/csw/lib, export LD_LIBRARY_PATH"
   into the start-up scrips

 - There is not yet a new version of gnome_dtlogin. I added
        XDG_CONFIG_DIRS=/opt/csw/etc/xdg
        export XDG_CONFIG_DIRS

   to /etc/dt/config/Xinitrc.CSWgnome
   in order to avoid an empty applications menu.

Now, something at least seems to work, but there are still many problems:

 - gnome-terminal sometimes crashes when pressing a menu button
 - the gnome settings daemon crashes from time to time
 - The clock applet seems to be missing.
 - gnome-volume-control gives the startup error
   "No volume control gstreamer plugins or devices found"

Please, help me. Is there something trivial I overlook?
Should I better go back to Gnome 2.8? Is someone running the new Gnome
on Sol9 without those problems? Or do all the blastwave developers use Solaris 10?

Regards, Meik

--
Meik Hellmund
Institut fuer Mathematik, Uni Leipzig