[csw-users] netsnmp install issues

James Lee james at blastwave.org
Mon Dec 4 11:08:24 CET 2006

On 03/12/06, 16:25:24, Andrew Chandler <andy at riftware.com> wrote regarding
Re: [csw-users] netsnmp install issues:

> Interactive Installation of Solaris Software
> When you install the Solaris 8 4/01 operating environment from the
> Solaris CDs, all
> of the required software clusters and packages for your Sun hardware are
> automatically loaded. If you choose to customize your Solaris 8 4/01
> software
> configuration using the interactive installation method, refer to TABLE
> 1-2 and  TABLE 1-3 to identify which software packages and clusters are
> needed.

> <snip> skip some parts of the table</snip>
> Sun Blade 100 and Sun Blade
> 1000
> SUNWpiclh
> SUNWpiclr
> SUNWpiclu
> SUNWpiclx
> PICL
> SUNW1394h
> SUNW1394x
> IEEE framework (1394)
> SUNWeridx RIO driver
> SUNWusx.u CPU power management's UltraSPARC

> This strongly suggests to me the picl package is on the original solaris
> install cd.

It is but it does not get installed on all hardware with the install
everything option.

The answer is that it's only installed for certain hardware
platforms.  The package needs force installing on other platforms
in order to satisfy the linkage of the SUNWpiclu package.

Answer to Amit, the OP, and anyone else unable to install CSWnetsnmp,
insert Solaris installation CD 1 and force an install:

# pkgadd -d /cdrom/sol_8_*_sparc/s0/Solaris_8/Product SUNWpiclu

nothing to do with patches... allegedly.

The problem is that the CSWnetsnmp package is built on a machine
that has a special package to support its class of hardware only.
This means that users of other hardware, despite choosing the
"entire" Solaris distribution, are left wondering why CSWnetsnmp
won't install or run.

Follow on questions are:

+ What does SUNWpiclu do for the Blade-1000 and would it matter
  if the package was removed? (Meaning builds can not link to this
  package.)

+ Can netsnmp be build without linking to libpicl.so.1?  (When
  SUNWpiclu is installed.)