[csw-users] Available php5 version inconsistent with posted package list

Peter Friedman pfriedman at umuc.edu
Wed Feb 8 22:41:30 CET 2006

Yesterday, I tried to dive into Blastwave by putting together an
apache2/php/mysql install on my sparc Solaris 8 system.  I downloaded the
mysql4rt, apache2, php5, php5_mysql, and ap2_modphp5 packages.

I created two simple scripts to test the installation, one
which just contains a call to phpinfo(), and another which attempts to
connect to an existing mysql database.

The first script works, and reports PHP version 5.1.2, but does not show
that the mysql library is available.  The mysql test script fails, and
"Call to undefined function mysql_connect()" appears in the Apache log.
Also, in the Apache log at server startup, there are multiple "Unable to
initialize module" errors.

As an additional test, I ran the scripts using the command line php
(/opt/csw/bin/php5).  Both scripts ran without problems.  I noticed that
the phpinfo() indicated a php version of 5.0.5.

The problem, apparently, is that the version of php5 and php5_mysql is behind
the version of php in ap2_modphp5.  The errors in the Apache log show that the
modphp5 module refuses to load various libraries, mysql included, due to a
version mismatch.

On http://www.blastwave.org/packages.php the versions of the latest
packages involved are reported as:
ap2_modphp5 5.1.2,REV=2006.02.04
php5        5.1.2,REV=2006.02.04
php5_mysql  5.1.2,REV=2006.02.04

However, even after updating my package catalog with pkg-get -U, it
appears that the actual versions of the available packages are:
ap2_modphp5 5.1.2,REV=2006.02.04
php5        5.0.5,REV=2005.10.05
php5_mysql  5.0.5,REV=2005.10.05

I visited several mirror sites and pulled down their catalog files, and also
looked at the names of the actual files.  On all the mirrors, the php5 and
php5_mysql packages were at version 5.0.5.