[csw-users] [Fwd: [kde-solaris] Pkg-get upgrade broke my KDE...]

tom @ blastwave blastwave at tomseeley.co.uk
Fri Feb 10 15:37:19 CET 2006

Darin Perusich wrote:
> *I hate to be a 'Chicken Little', but I ran pkg-get upgrade on my
> Solaris 10 SunBlade 100 and now I can't log into KDE.  I had been
> running KDE 3.4.2 (REV=2005.9.18) with no problems for a while now and
> during the upgrade, I noticed that only kde_base was getting upgraded to
> 3.4.3 (REV=2006.01.08), while the rest of KDE was not.  I didn't think
> anything of it at the time, but after rebooting, I can't log in to KDE.
> The OpenWindows desktop starts to load, I see the KDM loading screen,
> then a KDE error message pops up showing the 'bomb and gear' icon, but
> there is no text in the error message, and then everything just
> freezes.  I have to power off the box and choose a different desktop
> session to actually log in.*
I experienced exactly the same behavior after installing kde_gcc on a
fresh solaris 9 (sparc) install.  On reading the above I downgraded
kdebase_gcc to 3.4.2,REV=2005.09.20.  This solved the lack of text
problem, but not the crashing.  On login  kded and kcminit crash, kded
does so repeatedly, gdb tries to get a backtrace but apparently there
aren't any symbols available.

Tom.