[csw-users] Compiling modules for Perl

Chris Ridd chris.ridd at isode.com
Mon Feb 13 16:58:07 CET 2006

On 13/2/06 3:33, Alex Moore <asmoore at blastwave.org> wrote:

> On Mon, 13 Feb 2006 15:19:14 +0000
> Chris Ridd <chris.ridd at isode.com> wrote:
>
>> % /opt/csw/bin/perl -V
>> [...]
>> ccversion='Sun C 5.7 2005/01/07';
>> [...]
>>
>> I'm using the unstable branch, so YMMV. Sun C 5.8 appears to be part
>> of Studio 11, so I guess Sun C 5.7 is part of Studio 10.
>
> I just compiled a module that built a shared object library with Studio
> 11, so that appears to be the simplest and least expensive method.

I'd be surprised if Studio 11-built shared objects weren't compatible
(though the reverse might not be.)

> Also, take note of the blastwave build standards for options to use
> with Studio 11.  Or you may end up with some larger than necessary
> objects.

Good point, though since perl also knows what compiler flags were used to
build it it seems reasonable to assume those are "correct" and to use them
directly. Doesn't MakeMaker (or whatever the perl module is nowadays) do all
this stuff for you automagically anyway?

Cheers,

Chris