[csw-users] Odd problem installing pkg-get

Krist van Besien krist.vanbesien at gmail.com
Tue Feb 28 14:36:00 CET 2006

Hello.

I ordered our sysadmins to install pkg-get on four of our systems, and
we ran into an odd problem. On three of our four (supposedly
identical) systems pkg-get does not find its config file when started
as root, but does find it when started as a non root user.

What happens when root runs pkg-get -U is that it complains that there
is no config file present. (even though on is). pkg-get then creates a
(default) config file in /etc. Looking at the script it seems to do
this by catting a "here" document. This default config does not work,
as anonymous ftp is aparently not possible to the mirror that is
configured in it.

The only way we managed to make it work was by copying our config file
in /opt/csw/etc to /etc.

What I found out after a few tests is that on these three systems
pkg-get symple doesn't "see" the config file in /opt/csw/etc when
started as root, but that it does see this file when started as a non
root user. This strikes me as quite odd... What could the reason be?

Krist

krist.vanbesien at gmail.com
Solothurn, Switzerland