[csw-users] Perl dependency on Nevada

Neal A. Lucier nlucier at math.purdue.edu
Thu Jul 20 22:47:33 CEST 2006

Javier O. Augusto wrote:
> I've just finished loading a couple of packages on a Nevada nv_40 SPARC
> sandbox and while installing patchutils
> (patchutils-0.2.29,REV=2004.06.27-SunOS5.8-sparc-CSW.pkg.gz) it
> complained about
>
> ERROR: no info for SUNWpl5u. Cannot install dependancy.
> ERROR: could not install required dependancies for CSWpatchutils
>
> I got suprised since I knew I had installed Perl on this system...
> Anyway, I have both  "SUNWperl584core"  and "SUNWperl584usr", but not
> exactly "SUNWpl5u".
>
> Can I overcome or avoid this dependency check? ..assuming I'm not going
> to brake anything ;-)

I haven't used Nevada lateley, but I'm guessing that SUNWperl584usr
provides the same functionality at SUNWpl5u.  You could install the
CSWpatchutils by hand instead of using the pkg-get script and force it
to install without required dependencies.

In Solaris 10 update 2, both SUNWperl584usr and SUNWpl5u are installed;
however, /usr/bin/perl is symlinked to /usr/perl5/5.8.4/bin/perl.  So
even on a Solaris 10u2 system you are not going to be using the SUWNpl5u
perl.

Neal