[csw-users] Blastwave KDE and antialiased fonts

Dennis Clarke dclarke at blastwave.org
Mon Nov 6 15:27:32 CET 2006

> Hi list,
>
> This might be a FAQ, but I'd like to see this cleared up anyway. Why are the
> kdelibs not compiled with antialiased fonts (freetype) support?

I think that there actually is a good reason.  It may not be a permanent one
but its a good one.  I will await the arrival of Ken Mays to address that
issue.

> I can't really find a conclusive answer about that with Google, so
> I'm asking here.

 Sometimes google brings up advertisements faster than answers.

 I know that is a useless answer also.

 Sorry .. its early here.

 Let me break the rest of your post into digestable chunks :

> Is there any way I can recompile the kdelibs package myself and have it
> replace the blastwave package?

 Let's call that Question 1.

> Have you made any patches to kdelibs to get it to compile cleanly?

 That will be Question 2.

> If yes, where are they?

 That can be Question 2.1 which is a sub-section of (2) above.

> I could make a anti-aliasing-supporting version of kdelibs and
> distribute it if you don't have the time or will to do it.

 That will be Statement 1.

> Oh, any chance of seeing KDE 3.5.x some time on blastwave?

 Finally we have Question 3.

 Question 3 should be addressed first.

 KDE 3.5.5 just shipped recently.  Well, last month.  By internet speed
 measurements it may as well be last year.

     http://www.kde.org/announcements/announce-3.5.5.php

 I think we discussed this and are looking at a big leap in KDE at some
point in the near future.  See http://www.kde.org/info/3.80.2.php

Re : Statement (1)

   If you want to participate then great!

   Join up via the sign up page and then let's see if we can get your
packages built, tested, integrated into KDE and released.

   http://www.blastwave.org/maintainer-signup.php

The other questions will await the arrival of Ken Mays.  He is Mr. KDE
around here and after the last few months he is Mr. GNOME also.

Let me look into a few of those questions and get back to you.

Dennis