[csw-users] cups very slow

Christoph Litauer litauer at uni-koblenz.de
Mon Jan 22 16:23:04 CET 2007

Christoph Litauer schrieb:
> Markus Mayer schrieb:
>> On Tuesday, 16 Jan 2007 15:26 +0100, Christoph Litauer wrote:
>>
>>> But any action on cupsd [...] is veeery slow. Long timeouts. I tried
>>> to truss cupsd, but it doesn't let me ... No messages in error_log
>>>
>>> Any ideas?
>>
>> This problem has in fact been tracked down to be caused by
>> libgcrypt.so. libgcrypt's 'configure' script assumes that Solaris
>> doesn't have /dev/urandom, so it always uses /dev/random.
>>
>> CUPS, in turn, uses  libgcrypt.so so set up encrypted connections.
>> Therefore, CUPS was always using /dev/random as well.
>>
>> So, whenever there wasn't enough entropy in the pool to satify the read
>> from /dev/random, the call would block till the entropy pool had been
>> re-filled, leading to the 'CUPS is so freaking slow' behavior you and
>> others have described.
>>
>> Torrey, the maintainer for libgcrypt, was so kind to build a new
>> packages within half an hour of me telling him what the problem was.
>> These packages are currently available from
>> http://www.blastwave.org/testing/libgcrypt-1.2.3,REV=2007.01.21-SunOS5.8-i386-CSW.pkg.gz
>> http://www.blastwave.org/testing/libgcrypt-1.2.3,REV=2007.01.21-SunOS5.8-sparc-CSW.pkg.gz
>
> Works perfectly! Thanks a lot for your (and the maintainer of libgcrypt)
> very quick help.
>
> ... but I still have some problems with the package: My Solaris machine
> "learns" the printers of my print server (printhost). So e.g. lpstat -v
> returns:
>
> device for pdfmail: ipp://printhost:631/printers/pdfmail
>
> If I print a job to pdfmail, the following lpstat works:
>
> ray4:/tmp # env CUPS_SERVER=printhost lpstat -o pdfmail
> pdfmail-12491   litauer  27648   Mon Jan 22 09:42:12 2007
>
> But:
>
> ray4:/tmp # lpstat -o pdfmail
> ray4:/tmp #
>
> Any ideas?

Sorry, this seems to be a "feature" of cups. I don't even get lpstat
answers for ipp printers on other hosts running a local cups daemon.

--
Regards
Christoph
Christoph Litauer                  litauer at uni-koblenz.de
Uni Koblenz, Computing Center,     http://www.uni-koblenz.de/~litauer
Postfach 201602, 56016 Koblenz     Fon: +49 261 287-1311, Fax: -100 1311
PGP-Fingerprint: F39C E314 2650 650D 8092 9514 3A56 FBD8 79E3 27B2