[csw-users] Security Vulnerabilities in Samba.

Jeremiah Johnson jeremiah.johnson at gmail.com
Fri Jul 20 17:27:43 CEST 2007

Bogdan,

Thanks for pointing that out.  Patches like that are what maintainers
are good for.  If there are problems, the maintainer should include
that patch and release it.  I personally would rather see more
frequent releases that fix problems, than waiting 6+ months for a
update.  There is a stable and unstable branch, and afaict the
unstable version is still that older version.  I realize that much
testing goes into each release, but I also realize that there is only
so much testing a volunteer can do.  Without accepting input from the
user base at large you'll constantly end up in situations like this.
The stable branch is supposed to be updated only every 3 months, and
unstable constantly, but I'm not seeing any visible action in unstable
with regards to samba.

Ken,

Thanks, I appreciate it.  Sun and SFW have released updates, but our
maintance policy is a bit odd for installing sun patches which is why
we're using Blastwave.

-miah