[csw-users] Security Vulnerabilities in Samba.

Dennis Clarke dclarke at blastwave.org
Fri Jul 20 17:53:25 CEST 2007

> Jeremiah Johnson wrote:
>
>  > The stable branch is supposed to be updated only every 3 months, and
>  > unstable constantly, but I'm not seeing any visible action in unstable
>  > with regards to samba.
>
> indeed unstable is updated constantly and frequently, but sometimes it
> happens a package is being abandoned by its maintainer (or even worst
> himself abandon the blastwave community) without posting us any notice
> about this decision.
> we are thinking about some automated system to detect whether a
> maintainer is still "active" or not, so that we are alerted when a
> package is "abandoned".

I think that a small satellite controlled cattle prod would be of value
here.  If a person does not check in a least once a month then the global
network of cattle prods will begin to shock people repeatedly at 5 minute
intervals until they respond.

That may not be very humane but it would work.

I'll think up something else.  :-)

Dennis