[csw-users] watch?

Luke Scharf lscharf at vt.edu
Tue Mar 20 14:21:48 CET 2007

Ihsan Dogan wrote:
> Am 13.3.2007 21:16 Uhr, Luke Scharf schrieb:
>

>> Has anyone considered including watch (included in the procps packaged
>> on Redhat-ish distributions) in pkg-get?
>>
>> It's one of my favorite trivialities...  :-)
>>

> What exactly is "watch"?

It's a program that will run a command repeatedly, displaying the
command on the screen.  For example:
    watch -n 2 'gls -lh $HOME/download'
This will run "gls -lh $HOME/download" every two seconds and display the
results on the screen in a cleanish way.

I wouldn't want to use it to run 'rm -rf' -- but it really is nice for
watching large downloads, RAID rebuilds, zpool scrubs, df, and suchlike.

I'll be happy to contribute some work for this package, but I'm not
quite sure where to start -- or if this really belongs in another
package.  (I'm C/C++/make/scripting and Unix literate, but I haven't
contributed packages  to a group like this before.)

-Luke