[csw-users] watch?

Luke Scharf lscharf at vt.edu
Tue Mar 20 15:18:32 CET 2007

Dennis Clarke wrote:
>> Ihsan Dogan wrote:

>>> What exactly is "watch"?
>>>

>> It's a program that will run a command repeatedly, displaying the
>> command on the screen.  For example:
>>     watch -n 2 'gls -lh $HOME/download'
>> This will run "gls -lh $HOME/download" every two seconds and display the
>> results on the screen in a cleanish way.
>>
>> I wouldn't want to use it to run 'rm -rf' -- but it really is nice for
>> watching large downloads, RAID rebuilds, zpool scrubs, df, and suchlike.
>>
>> I'll be happy to contribute some work for this package, but I'm not
>> quite sure where to start -- or if this really belongs in another
>> package.  (I'm C/C++/make/scripting and Unix literate, but I haven't
>> contributed packages  to a group like this before.)
>>

> I like it.
>
> Where is the source ?  On the RHEL5 source CD ISO images or somewhere ?

It's been included as part of the base distribution (and part of the
source) -- I don't remember when it was introduced, but it's probably
been around at least as long as RH9.  One source RPM is available here:

http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/6/source/SRPMS/procps-3.2.7-8.src.rpm
Also, an RHEL5ish version is available here (It should also be available
on the RHEL5 source CDs):
    http://beta.centos.org/centos/5/os/SRPMS/procps-3.2.7-8.src.rpm
I'm actually running YellowDog Linux 4.1 on my Linux desktop at work at
the moment, which is based on Fedora Core 3, I think.  Here is the exact
SRPM that I'm using today:

ftp://mirror.mcs.anl.gov/pub/yellowdog/releases/yellowdog-4.1/en/os/SRPMS/procps-3.2.0-1.2.ydl.1.src.rpm

BTW, there is a fair bit of stuff in this package, including top, w,
uptime and some low-level system utilities:

    $ rpm -ql procps | grep bin
    /bin/ps
    /sbin/sysctl
    /usr/bin/free
    /usr/bin/pgrep
    /usr/bin/pkill
    /usr/bin/pmap
    /usr/bin/skill
    /usr/bin/slabtop
    /usr/bin/snice
    /usr/bin/tload
    /usr/bin/top
    /usr/bin/uptime
    /usr/bin/vmstat
    /usr/bin/w
    /usr/bin/watch

There is a separate coreutils package on Redhat, which is separate from
this.

What else can I do to help out?

Thanks,
-Luke