[csw-users] About KDE

ken mays maybird1776 at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 21 12:55:30 CET 2007

Yes, KDE 4.0 is the next Blastwave submission after
the GNOME 2.14/2.16 submission for the current stable
snapshot. I'm still playing with GIMP 2.3.15 which is
over in our /testing area.

I am working off of the current KDE 4.0 (3.80.3)
unstable snapshot which I have ported to the Sun Ultra
40 and Sun Ultra 45.

The compositor manager works with the Nvidia Quadro
3500 & Nvidia drivers very well. I was able to test
Mesa and Mesademos out as well as my ports of SGI
OpenGL GLUT demos. Basically, all of the 3D effects
you hear about with Compiz, Beryl, Metisse will all
work under KDE and GNOME under Solaris.

I worked on KDE 3.5.6 for Solaris, yet KDE 4.0 is a
major milestone for Blastwave. It is too late to add
KOffice 1.6.2 to the new stable snapshot, but I'll
migrate it after the next stable snapshot is done (I
hope!).

Note: By the way, KDE 4.0 is not officially released
yet and is NOT considered stable (for production use)
yet. Once Dennis finishes his testing of the new GNOME
for Blastwave and we tweak it a little more, I'll
focus fully on KDE 4.0 - once again...

~ Ken Mays

Will be available the KDE 4 too? I think is going to
be out for
summer.

  Thanks,

César

PD.: Is there any possibility for universities to
enable some
repositories with packages for openSolaris? May be
this way more repos
will be enabled.