[csw-users] New project: JPack - install your software easily

Jose Luis Marín Español marinjl at aia.ptv.es
Wed May 16 10:54:21 CEST 2007

> One question, though: is there any reason why
> configuration can't be similar to Synaptic -- where you add
> repositories to an overall config, and all packages from all
> repositories are shown together in the same "available" list?

I think most Solaris admins will agree that what we *really* need is a good
dependency/conflict resolution infrastructure a la Debian apt. I know, I know, this
might be way out of scope of this particular project which is just a GUI front-end like
Synaptic.  But anyway I had to say it.  It's just that Solaris is such a great kernel and OS,
but package management (let's not talk about patch management) is terrible, Debian is
light years away.  And it's not so much the dpkg format, it's APT.

Blastwave is a small step in the right direction, and that's why it's so popular.  Nexenta
is a more radical aproach, because they throw away the user-space Solaris apps and replace
them with the GNU ones.  Many of us would like the OpenSolaris guys to just adopt a packaging
format (don't care which) which allows introducing a proper dependency/conflict resolution
system (apt or similar).

Sorry if this sounds like a rant...

JL