[csw-users] managing local data for server installations

David Blank-Edelman dnb at ccs.neu.edu
Thu May 31 06:50:55 CEST 2007

On May 31, 2007, at 12:10 AM, Elizabeth Schwartz wrote:

>  I don't see a way to specify an alternate location for Blastwave
> stuff...?

This leads to another interesting discussion for me. I don't want to
hijack Betsy's thread so I've change the subject.

Are there any sites out there who have done large-scale server/client
Blastwave installations in an NFS environment that could speak to the
following issues:

Blastwave is so superb that we're thinking about using it as our
primary source of binaries both for our desktop clients and some of
our server infrastructure. For efficiency's sake we'd like to have a
single blastwave install tree that we export out to each of the
servers to use (vs. keeping N installations current). This has the
added plus of making it easy to move services around to different
hardware at a moment's notice if hardware dies.

The tricky thing with this idea is the storage of service-specific
data. I've read the NFS userguide that suggests either loopback
mounts or playing symlink games. The userguide sidesteps a least a
couple of issues though:

1) blastwave packages seem to write their data all over the place.
For example, apache stuff lives in /opt/csw/apache*/blah, mysql stuff
in /opt/csw/mysql*, ssh configs in /opt/csw/etc, bacula in /opt/csw/
etc/bacula. On top of this, certain packages will drop something
into /etc/{init,rc}.d* _only_ on the install host (yikes!).

Q: How do people handle this lack of separation between binary and
configuration space? One symlink from /opt/csw/etc to /etc is easy, N
symlinks from various points in the tree starts to get hairy.
Q: Are you just layering something like cfengine, puppet, radmind,
bfcg2 or {insert random source control system here} on top of your
configuration management process to keep all of this stuff straight?
Q: Do you have anything automated that helps you know when blastwave
is going to write a file outside of its usual /opt/csw/space?
Q: How do you handle making sure that the init scripts that get
installed get pushed to other hosts beyond the initial install host?
Q: Do you create a spaghetti farm of symlinks if you decide to keep
the service's data some place else on NFS?

2) I've seen upgrades to various package tromp over configs (e.g. w/
apache). They are usually nice enough to save a copy of the old
configs, but still it can be a bit of a shock to have the config go
away after an upgrade.

Q: is there any good way to handle a situation like this besides
having a "staging" area (perhaps a separate blastwave install tree
just for staging)?

Is there a simpler way to think about this stuff? Anything else I've
missed?

Thanks!

     -- dNb