[csw-users] catalog

Dennis Clarke dclarke at blastwave.org
Wed Oct 3 17:25:56 CEST 2007

> Thanks,
>
> I downloaded the descriptions from the mirror I am using. I am guessing
> that it doesn't hurt to have more descriptions than packages.
>
> I'll find out soon enough, I guess.
>
> Here's hoping /this/ CD has all that I need.
>
> Reckon Dennis would appreciate an article on how making a "distribution
> CD" of a subset all blastwave packages can be done from home? It seems
> like the DVD distribution service is more of a headache for blastwave
> than an advantage.
>
> However, its probably the chicken and the egg thing for people like me.
> "If I can get the packages via the internet, why bother with a CD (DVD)
> of what I already have? *And* it'll be out of date pronto." Probably my
> situation is unusual. OK. The take home is to cough up the $20+ and get
> a DVD from the blastwave service. I am not doing that, because of
> historical snafu with same.

You are correct of course.  After a year with an external distribution and
fulfilment service I am now very happy to walk away from that agreement and
take things back internally.  I never had a problem doing things myself.

Later this month, on the 22nd of October to be precise, we will have been up
and running for five years solid.  In that five years I don't think we have
ever had any significant interruptions in service and only a few bumps along
the road. I highly doubt that anyone in the Solaris world would have a
problem if we keep doing what we do for another five years.

Later this month we should see a release of Indiana and to aid in that
respect I have create the beginnings of a pkg service repository at
http://pkg.blastwave.org . I already have the software for the pkg
infrastructure compiled and after a bit more work I should be able to
release a SVR4 package that just installs and works. Python is needed and we
have a new testing release of Python 2.5.1 ( thanks to the great work of
Cory Omand ) at Blastwave. If you follow my thinking here I am pondering
this :

    (1) migrate packages into the pkg repository at pkg.blastwave.org

    (2) backport the pkg software to Solaris 10

Of course this is a community effort.

Dennis Clarke