[csw-users] Which SUN* pkg supplanted by CSW* pkg?

Dennis Clarke dclarke at blastwave.org
Fri Sep 7 19:24:17 CEST 2007

> @all
>
> I am just going through Solaris 10 8/07 "upgrade". I marked "custom" and I
> see a lot of packages that I know duplicate what I am now getting from
> Blastwave.
>
> I omitted a lot of those. However, I bet I missed a bunch. I can easily
> review the packages I have added via Blastwave.
>
> Do we have a way of knowing which SUNW* packages may be removed each time
> we add a Blastwave package? Depending on a  simple phrase in the pkg name
> leaves me uneasy about doing a pkgrm of a SUNW pkg with the same phrase.
>
> I can guess that there is not necessarily a one for one match up. There
> might not even be a SUNW(group) to CSW(group) match up. Where a match up
> DOES occur, I want to pkgrm the SUNW version.
>
> Any advise?
>
> ggw

You have hit a big issue. I too was looking at the new Solaris 10 release
and I took note also of the new Companion DVD which has a whopping 119
packages on it as well as a version of KDE from 2004.

All joking aside we have a lot of overlap and that is because we are still
supporting Solaris 8 as well as getting more up to date software out the
door for Solaris 10 users.

Making a comparison map .. sounds like a great weekend project for me.

-
Dennis Clarke