[csw-users] Nexenta

Dennis Clarke dclarke at blastwave.org
Tue Sep 11 18:18:56 CEST 2007

> asily build an OpenSolaris based distro with just core
>> functions in it and then drag in the Blastwave software for userland
>> stuff.
>
> If you are going to strip out all the userland stuff, would there be
> any advantage over  running Nexenta? (It seems you get more packages)

The Nexenta software is all built on top of the Nexenta kernel and with GCC
I think. All the software at Blastwave is built on Solaris with Studio tools
( some GCC, our own GCC, sometimes ) and tested to run on Solaris 8 upwards.
It is all about long term stability and portability across Solaris versions.

You can always go hybrid if you want but I was thinking that we should
always keep the SUS ( POSIX etc ) compliant tools around. Always. Always
have the XPG4 tools as well as everything from the UNIX specs.

After all, Solaris is a UNIX system and OpenSolaris is UNIX source.

Dennis