[csw-users] Why support Solaris 8 onwards?

Ben Taylor Ben.Taylor at Sun.COM
Tue Sep 18 02:28:49 CEST 2007

Brandorr wrote:

>The thing is, just because you don't use x version of Solaris, doesn't
>mean you are in the majority. Dennis has stated that a MAJORITY of
>Blastwave download traffic is from machines running Solaris 8. End of
>discussion.

Please check with Dennis.  He retracted his comments to me.
Personally, I'd like to see all the archives information so we
can stop this discussion.  I don't care if Solaris 8 is the majority
or not.  If it is, so be it.  If it isn't, and is a substantial minority,
I suggest no additional effort be put into porting OSS code on
Solaris 8 if it *doesn't compile correctly out of the box* the first
time.

Since stuff is supposed to be put in the GAR, if someone really
wants to help, then they can make the appropriate changes
to the Garball for that package and submit it for inclusion.

>>From Sun's website:
>Solaris 8 support:
>    * Last order date is November 16, 2006
>    * Last ship date is February 16, 2007
>    * End of service life will be March 31, 2012
>    * A grace period until 12/31/2007 lets customers install Solaris 8
>on NEW Sun systems they purchased without requiring purchase of a
>Right-To-Use (RTU) license.
>
>Personally, I would suggest that Blastwave supports, at a minimum,
>Solaris 8 for at least the time that Sun does. That means Solaris 8
>support for another 4 years+

Ridiculous.  Lots of wasted effort for a minority too scared, cheap,
lazy, bothered, or skilled to move off an obsolete platform.  I
don't care if the archives are still available, but I wouldn't waste
one more second on code that doestn't just work on Solaris 8.

But if this albatross is gonna hang around Blastwave's neck,
I got better things to do with my time.

The rest of the OSS community is really not interested in having
their software ported to an OS that is not even going to be shipping
in 2 months.  I've been down that path before.

Ben