[csw-users] Why support Solaris 8 onwards?

James Lee james at blastwave.org
Wed Sep 19 16:34:56 CEST 2007

On 19/09/07, 14:43:08, Ben Taylor <ben.taylor at sun.com> wrote regarding Re:
[csw-users] Why support Solaris 8 onwards?:

> >>Ridiculous.  Lots of wasted effort for a minority too scared, cheap,
> >>lazy, bothered, or skilled to move off an obsolete platform.
> >>

> >Thank you for your vote of confidence in my ability.
> >
> There's no vote of confidence in your ability there.

Indeed, clearly my statement lost all meaning in translation.

>  Unless you
> are the decision maker keeping on Solaris 8.  I am well aware
> that CIO's and other management types are risk adverse, and
> SA's have to toe the company line regardless of the age of
> a technology.  There's a difference.   But to not plan a migration
> off Solaris 8 to Solaris 10 after 10 has been out for almost
> 3 years and has amazing features, and it appears you are running
> an app that has support in 10, all I can say is, if the shoe fits....

3 years is not a long time (maybe it is to the "kids"), consider
machines have uptimes of perhaps more than a year.  Solaris 10 has
amazing features but so what?  What if I don't need them.  I have
no compelling reason to spend time/money updating a system to an
OS that provides the same (used) functionality.

James.