[csw-users] Why support Solaris 8 onwards?

Dennis Clarke dclarke at blastwave.org
Wed Sep 19 17:43:23 CEST 2007

> shuttlebox wrote:
>
>>On 9/19/07, Ben Taylor <ben.taylor at sun.com> wrote:
>>

>>>But I'm willing to let the minority keep the bloat factor high
>>>just to support thier little patch.
>>>

>>What is the bloat you and others have mentioned?
>>

> The bloat is the duplication of packages in blastwave that
> are in Solaris, especially as you move from 8 to 9 to 10 to
> 11 (nevada).
>
> So if you want to run the latest gnome on SOlaris 10 from
> blastwave, you will likely have almost the entire Gnome tree
> duplicated.  I understand that it is important to have a separate
> tool chain not dependent on Sun.  However, what turns out is
> minimal bloat on Solaris 8 turns into maximum bloat on Solaris 10.
>
> Other instances is just the sheer number of packages required
> to get one package.  Because there is no master database of
> dependencies that can be querried remotely, a package has to
> be unrolled, have it's dependencies checked, and then stop and
> go get more to resolve dependencies.
>
> In a better version of blastwave, the check for dependencies
> would happen before downloading the first package.  In a standalone
> environment, the existing model could be used.

Ben, I think that we had spoken about a small PostgreSQL client that could
query a database server for the required dependency information.  Do you
think that we could put together a prototype ? I am certainly ready to
create the database server and the query would not be all that complex.
Recursive perhaps  but not complex.

Dennis