[csw-users] Why support Solaris 8 onwards?

ken mays maybird1776 at yahoo.com
Sat Sep 22 15:31:02 CEST 2007

>>> What about Solaris 9?
>>>
>> Good question, most of the augments put forward
against S8 apply to
 S9,
>> (some even apply to S10, eg OpenSolaris libs).
>>
>> Same rational?  Although personally I've skipped S9
completely so
>> after S8 is dropped I can start moaning. :-)

Geez, we still on this subject? (smile)

I think Sun only support OS releases as far back as
Solaris 7 now. They ended some of their support of the
older OS releases around Mar 2007. Check on that.

I think Solaris 8 is next on the list, but Solaris 7
will end before that (I expect Y2008 will be the end
of Solaris 7 support). Sun mention it supports up to
three OS releases so I expect Solaris 8 support until
"Solaris 11" is officially released.

Why are companies sticking with Solaris 8? Cost and
support. Also, no need to reinvent the wheel and
limited resources to test new deployments. The rules
of "old reliable car" versus "new shiny car" applies
here (or old spouse versus new spouse).

We could ask Sun the question of why they still are
officially supporting Solaris 7?!?

Let us not get caught up on this as it is good the
Blastwave ISV supports Solaris 8 cause they feel like
it. Again, the point I made earlier was that we talked
about it becoming legacy support (not "unsupported").

Sun has moved a few of their products to Solaris 9/10
only. Good business sense for ISVs is to move to
Solaris 10 as the primary support model and Solaris
8/9 as legacy support. But, that is a personal
business choice for each ISV business - even the
Blastwave ISV.

Hey, if supporting Solaris 8 onwards is putting 'food
on the table' for an ISV or Solaris professionals
around the world, then why rock the money tree?

~K