[csw-users] Headsup: gaim to pidgin transition

Torrey McMahon tmcmahon2 at yahoo.com
Sat Sep 22 22:21:56 CEST 2007

In the near future I'll be pushing out blastwave packages that contain
pidgin and pidgin-otr.

http://www.pidgin.im/
http://www.cypherpunks.ca/otr/

No flames about them being late please. We were blocked on some bugs and
I have a day job. :-)

These are replacements for the gaim and gaim-otr packages. Due to legal
reasons the program names and the CSW package instance names must change
and there is no easy way to make an automatic transition.

    * The CSWpidgin and CSWpidginotr packages will not install if the
      CSWgaim and CSWgaimotr packages are on the system.
    * The CSWgaim and CSWgaimotr packages must be manually removed from
      the system before CSWpidgin and CSWpidginotr can be installed.
    * When run for the first time pidgin will migrate a users gaim files
      to a new file hierarchy. This should be seamless to the user
      though, if anything does go wrong, copies of the relevant files
      are left in the users home directory.
    * At some point users may wish to remove the older gaim files. This
      is not done automatically but could save considerable space if
      users log IM conversations.
    * OTR users will have to generate new keys *or* edit the otr key
      file to point to the new pidgin protocol names. This is not done
      automatically as of the last version I tested.
    * Once CSWpidgin and CSWpidginotr are pushed to unstable I'll ask
      for the CSWgaim and CSWgaimotr packages to be removed from the
      catalog.

I hope to have the new packages ready in the next couple of days. I'll
send an other announcement when they are available in unstable. If
anyone has questions or comments please let me know.