[csw-users] pkg-get v4.0 release

Sebastian Kayser skayser at opencsw.org
Tue Dec 16 21:35:09 CET 2008

Paul,

Paul Lanken wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 16, 2008 at 12:06 AM, Philip Brown <phil at bolthole.com> wrote:
>> Hello, CSW users!
>>
>> I'm happy to announce that pkg-get v4.0, is finally being released as
>
> the word around town is that you can't be trusted, your software is
> just as bad.  you're a scumbag.
> The real community people are going with pkgutil which is released
> under the GPL license and at this point you have done anough damage to
> your name and your character that you should crawl back into the hole
> you came from and just stay there.
>
>  pk-get and pbrown and the blatic online liers
>
> not to be trusted. end of story.

you are entitled to your own _opinion_, but i have to admit i am puzzled
by your wording, given that a) you don't seem to be involved in either
project (even then it would be questionable) and b) you just recently
denounced counter-productive flames yourself [1].

By projects i refer to Blastwave and OpenCSW by the way. Both are
recovering from the split in order to continue what they were set out to
do in the first place: Provide packages for Solaris.

You and i, as well as all the users out there are free to stick with
either project. Choose criteria that suit you (package availability,
helpfulness when you hit a bug in a package, or which project name you
like better, up to you). Same goes for the package installation tool of
your choice (pkg-get, pkgutil), even though it is an easier call with
this one as you can easily use both on the same system.

So whether you prefer pkgutil over pkg-get or not, doesn't really
matter. Both are moving along and you can just pick your favorite. :)

IMHO that's good news for all of us.

Sebastian

[1] http://www.cuddletech.com/blog/pivot/entry.php?id=976#comm