[csw-users] Self-inflicted sendmail problem?

Rob Stampfli res at colnet.cmhnet.org
Thu Jan 3 20:04:33 CET 2008

On Thu, Jan 03, 2008 at 12:24:01PM -0500, David Mackintosh wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I'm having a problem installing CSWsendmail, and can't figure out how
> to dig myself out of this hole I've dug.
> ## Executing preinstall script.
> adding smmsp group
> adding smmsp user
> chroot: No such file or directory
> pkgadd: ERROR: preinstall script did not complete successfully
>
> Installation of <CSWsendmail> failed.
> ERROR: could not add CSWsendmail.
>
> On the advice of the #blastwave IRC channel, I removed the smmsp user
> and groups; this is why they are being created, above.
>
> Does anyone have a link to a web page that might help me figure
> out how to get me out of this hole?

Are you sure you have the latest sendmail package?  There was a
version release just before Christmas that had a bug which fails
precisely the same way on sparc architectures.  The current
version is:

sendmail-8.14.2,REV=2007.12.17-SunOS5.8-sparc-CSW.pkg.gz
(2384863 bytes, md5sum aca820319c20802e46d4d2cfe190e908)

This one installed correctly on my machine.

Perhaps you should try another mirror, or if you can't find it
elsewhere, write me and I'll make a copy available to you.

Rob