[csw-users] Samba 3.2.0 and 3.0.31 ?

Dennis Clarke blastwave at gmail.com
Thu Jul 24 01:25:28 CEST 2008

On Wed, Jul 23, 2008 at 6:58 PM, Trygve Laugstøl <trygvel at blastwave.org> wrote:
> Dennis Clarke wrote:
>>
>> I hate to beat a dead horse .. but I have Samba 3.0.31 and 3.2.0 built
>> and tested with Windows XP and Vista. I'm not too sure how to get
>> these things out to the world other than to post the packages. I have
>> no reason or desire to break this thing up into 8 itty bitty packages
>> with 20 files in some and 200 in others. That is a waste of time and
>> energy.
>>

> [snipping noise]
>

>> anyways ... the upshot of all this is .. I have gottent to be fairly
>> adept at building a nice Samba package and I feel that it should be
>> available *somewhere* and somehow.
>>
>> Thoughts ?
>
> The package is split up into different packages, shouldn't that make it
> pretty easy to do that with the new package as well?

Is not split up.  As for "easy" .. no it is not. It is a pain that can
take hours to do and it needs to be done manually because the package
contents do not line up from version to version. At least not very
well.

> The biggest argument people have is that it drag in so many dependencies and
> lumping all of it into a gigantic package is going to pull in truckloads of
> stuff that people doesn't need.

baloney

samba is samba

You install it and you get the whole package based on the build from
the sources. When you do the build and the install it you get samba ..
all of it .. not bits and pieces.

> There are applications using only the
> libraries and people only using the client side.

So what ?

So now you install samba and you get all that in one shot.

disk is cheap.
You install the package .. and it works.

Dennis