[csw-users] Little help moving from Solaris 8 to 10

Dennis Clarke blastwave at gmail.com
Thu Jun 5 15:20:11 CEST 2008

On Thu, Jun 5, 2008 at 1:14 PM, Thiele, Karl D (Karl)
<karl.d.thiele at verizonbusiness.com> wrote:
> Been using Blastwave for ~ 2 years on Solaris 8 , but now moving to Solaris
> 10.
>
> I no longer have root, because our destops are going to be little more than
> an xterminal....
>
> Someone else has to do Blastwave pkg-get and Blastwave software.  In no way
> shape or form do I believe it is installed correctly.
>
> There is nothing in /opt/csw:

Well that is *completely* WRONG.

Is that clear ?

When the software packages are installed they go into /opt/csw and
that is exactly what you will see in the HOWTO page also. Even more
important is that you set your PATH in your .profile ( or .bashrc etc
etc ) such that /opt/csw/bin and then /opt/csw/sbin are first in your
PATH. In that way you get the up to date cdrtools and openssh and
openssl and 1800+ other software titles.

Does this help ?

Next thing on my mind .. is how in God's green earth did anyone
install the software into some other place other than /opt/csw and
what the heck were they thinking ?

Dennis