[csw-users] Issues with gsview

Aaron Wilson aaron at ernieball.com
Tue Mar 11 18:02:16 CET 2008

I'm having issues with gsview and printing from evolution (The
pre-installed solaris version).

gsview works fine if you open a pdf directly, but gives an error if you
try to open a pdf attachment from evolution.

GSview 4.9 2007-11-18
play_sound: not implemented
debug=0
Failed to load libgs.so: ld.so.1: gsview: fatal: relocation error: file
/opt/csw/lib/i386/libgs.so: symbol libiconv_open: referenced symbol not
found
Can't load Ghostscript DLL

I read in a post on the Ubuntu forums where someone got that error just
opening gsview. They recommended going to Options -> Advanced Configure...
and changing Ghostscript Version to 861 and Ghostscript Shared Object to
libgs.so.8.61

Did that to no avail.

gsview used to work just fine from evolution and I prefer gsview to
xpdf, gpdf and the lame 4.0 version of Acrobat.
Sure my users can just save the pdf to disk and then use gsview to open
the pdf, but getting people to change their processes is like pulling
teeth.  :)

evince doesn't work for opening up a pdf from evolution either, but then
again that's never worked. All these would probably work from the
blastwave version of evolution, but it lacks JESCS and we use the Sun
Calendar server extensively and the mail program needs to be able to
access it.

Aaron