[csw-users] Issues with gsview

James Lee james at blastwave.org
Tue Mar 11 22:31:01 CET 2008

Original Message dated 11/03/08, 20:30:41
Author: Aaron Wilson <aaron at ernieball.com>
Re: Re: [csw-users] Issues with gsview:

> Yah I guess getting gsview to show up in evolution would be needed. :)

> All I do is right click on a pdf I have saved to disk somewhere.
> Select "Open With" -> "Other Application"
> Click on "Go There"

I can't find that on the evolution menus.  If I save it to disc
how does it affect evolution?  Are you using a Gnome global setting?
I'm not using Gnome, just Evolution in dabble mode - I'm not a user.

I like to start by reproducing a problem but never mind I might have
the answer.  Look in /usr/bin/evolution:

$ cat /usr/bin/evolution
#!/bin/sh

prefix=/usr
exec_prefix=${prefix}

PATH=/usr/bin:/usr/gnome/bin:${PATH}
GNOME2_PATH=/usr:/usr/gnome
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib:/usr/gnome/lib:${LD_LIBRARY_PATH}

export LD_LIBRARY_PATH GNOME2_PATH PATH

exec /usr/lib/evolution-1.4 "$@"

See it sets LD_LIBRARY_PATH, that sets it for gsview too when gsview
is called from evolution.  This is why LD_LIBRARY_PATH is a bad idea
as it overrides the RPATH needed by gsview and libgs.so.  Possibly
why it trys to use the wrong libiconv.  Try creating a wrapper script
that calls gsview and call that wrapper script from evolution,
something like this (please check/think first, this is untested):

#!/bin/sh
unset LD_LIBRARY_PATH
exec /opt/csw/bin/gsview "$@"

James.