[csw-users] Hi, List.

Janky Jay, III jankyj at unfs.us
Mon Mar 24 23:31:14 CET 2008

Hello, all.

    Fairly new to Solaris and Blastwave/CSW so I figured what better way
to become acquainted than to sign up to the list and begin reading and such.

    Being the 'newb' that I am to Solaris and such, I'm sure I'll be
posting here a lot with questions (Don't worry. I'm generally very good
about RTFM and things. I won't come to you for every little issue I have
:-) and I just wanted to make an appearance and thank those of you that
help around here. So, thanks!

    Now, for my first question... I've been reading a lot about
Blastwave lately because one of our servers (Solaris 8 on a Sunfire
Sparc V880) is accompanied by your software. This software, at the
moment, happens to be EXTREMELY out-of-date and it will be up to me to
soon update it all. Speaking to one of our former system admins, he
mentioned trying to upgrade things such as Firefox and/or Gnome via
Blastwave and said it basically broke everything (I'm assuming due to
dependency issues and the like). Is this common? If so, what steps can I
take in order to prevent this? Will a simple 'pkg-get upgrade' fix this
(generally)? I'm quite new at this job and I would hate to b0rk a
production system by simply 'playing' around on it and pressing my luck
for a few measly X11 related updates.

    Any help or information would be great. I'm going to browse this
mailing list for a while before I submit more questions that may be
repeats. Again, thanks to all that help around here. Stuff looks great
thus far!

Regards,
Janky Jay, III