[csw-users] bug in pkg-get

Matthew Hannigan mlh at zip.com.au
Fri Sep 5 03:11:41 CEST 2008

On Sat, Aug 30, 2008 at 02:21:48AM +0200, Peter Bonivart wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 29, 2008 at 8:50 AM, Klaus Heinz <khfp.blastwave0704 at gmx.de> wrote:
> > pkg-get destroys existing files "catalog" and "descriptions" in the
> > current directory when performing implicit updates of the catalog.
>
> I've also noted that it leaves catalog files all over the place. Even
> worse if one had files named catalog and descriptions in the current
> directory of course.

Similarly, if you have a directory named after the package in your current
directory it silently uses that instead of the repo, leading to strange
error messages.

This has bitten me twice.

In general it's bad form to rely on or use anything in the current directory
by default; the tool can change behavior depending on $pwd.

Matt