[csw-users] /testing Firefox 3.0.13 is available

James Lee james at opencsw.org
Sat Aug 22 14:43:08 CEST 2009

On 22/08/09, 10:33:46, William Bonnet <william at wbonnet.net> wrote regarding
Re: [csw-users] /testing Firefox 3.0.13 is available:

> > $ LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib/lwp firefox
> >
> > :-)
> >
> Thanks for the feedback.

> Does it makes everything working fine ? It would be a very good news :)

It makes it run.  I've not tested much nor with Solaris 9 or 10 with this
setting.

The man page for libpthread(1) says:

     For multithreaded programs that have been previously  linked
     with the standard threads library, the environment variables
     LD_LIBRARY_PATH and LD_LIBRARY_PATH_64 can be set as follows
     to  bind  the  program  at  runtime to the alternate threads
     library:

     LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib/lwp
     LD_LIBRARY_PATH_64=/usr/lib/lwp/64

so maybe you can swap the path in the start script with no need
to build with -L/usr/lib/lwp as well as -R/usr/lib/lwp.  There
is more in the man page about the differences in use of system
resources:

     When using the alternate one-level  threads  implementation,
     be  aware  that  it  may  create more LWPs than the standard
     implementation using unbound threads.  LWPs consume  operat-
     ing system memory in contrast to threads, which consume only
     user-level memory.  Thus a multithreaded application  linked
     against this library that creates thousands of threads would
     create an equal number of LWPs and might run the system  out
     of resources required to support the application.

Perhaps the start script needs:

if [ "`uname -r`" = "5.8" ] ; then
    LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib/lwp

C thread experts please chip in.