[csw-users] Ruby 'gem install mysql' problems

Chris May chris.may at warwick.ac.uk
Fri May 8 00:05:56 CEST 2009

Hi all,

Not sure if this is an issue with rubygems, rubydev, or just something wierd
with my setup:

ruby        1.8.7,REV=2009.04.06_p72
rubydev        1.8.7,REV=2009.04.06_p72
rubygems            1.3.1,REV=2009.02.16
mysql5           5.0.51,REV=2008.01.20
mysql5client           5.0.51,REV=2007.12.19
mysql5devel           5.0.51,REV=2008.01.20
mysql5rt           5.0.51,REV=2008.01.20

Now, I want to do 'gem install mysql'.

Running that command by itself fails to find the mysql libaries. Even though
mysql_config is on my $PATH, I have to specify it explicitly.

'gem install mysql -- --with-mysql-config=/opt/csw/bin/mysql_config' gets
further, but fails like this:

/opt/csw/bin/ruby extconf.rb --with-mysql-config=/opt/csw/bin/mysql_config
checking for mysql_ssl_set()... no
checking for mysql.h... yes
gcc: language target=386 not recognized
gcc: language target=386 not recognized

On inspection, there are 3 problems with the generated Makefile: it specifies a
-mt parameter which gcc claims not to understand, it specifies -xtarget=386,
which again isnt' understood, and it doesn't specify
-R/opt/csw/mysql5/lib/mysql, so libmysqlclient.so can't be found at runtime. If
I remove the two bogus parameters and add the -R one, then I can successfully
make and install the gem.

Is this something that I should file as a bug with the Ruby/Mysql project, or
should it go in the OpenCSW bug tracker, or is it not a bug at all?

thanks!

Chris