[csw-users] apache2 / mod_perl2 / oracle

Sebastian Kayser skayser at opencsw.org
Fri Nov 6 01:41:31 CET 2009

Dewey Hylton wrote on 06.11.2009 01:13:
> On Nov 5, 2009, at 6:05 PM, Sebastian Kayser wrote:
>> Dewey Hylton wrote on 05.11.2009 13:40:
>>> hi all. i've been highly unsuccessful moving a particular set of
>>> websites from linux to solaris due to perl module issues. this of course is
>>> not strictly a csw issue, but my preference is to install everything
>>> necessary via csw.
>>>
>>> to this end, i'd like to ask if anyone can point me to a recipe for
>>> what i'm trying to do. ultimately, this is what i'd like:
>>>
>>> apache2 running mod_perl
>>> apache/perl talking to oracle (oracle client is of course outside
>>> the scope of csw)
>>> apache auth via oracle
>>
>> if you have been running that kind of stuff on a Linux platform
>> before, what packages did you use there?
>>
> on the linux side...
>
> system packages:
> 	apache2
>
> CPAN:
> 	Apache::DBI
> 	Apache::Session:DBI
> 	DBI
> 	CGI
> 	mod_perl2
> 	LWP::UserAgent
> 	HTML::Embperl
>
> manually installed:
> 	http://search.cpan.org/CPAN/authors/id/M/ME/MERGL/ApacheDBI-0.71.tar.gz
>

> apache2 has configs including this:
>
> 	PerlAuthenHandler Apache::AuthDBI::authen
> 	PerlAuthzHandler Apache::AuthDBI::authz
>
> 	<Location /xxx>
> 	SetHandler perl-script
> 	PerlHandler Apache::Registry
> 	Options Includes FollowSymLinks ExecCGI
> 	</Location>

> now, on the solaris side i started with these and all the dependencies
> they brought with them:
> 	pkgutil -in CSWpmapachedbi CSWpmdbdoracle
>
> i used the csw perl/cpan to install a few of the other modules. i had
> to manually install DBD::Oracle (from CPAN) but it got me part way
> there. apache auth via oracle is currently working, but for some
> reason the perl cgis are not getting ORACLE_HOME and other variables
> passed and are failing to connect with oracle for that reason. i think
> it's an apache config issue, but have yet to find it.

I am not very familiar with that kind of setup, but there is a mod_perl
"known pitfalls" item that specifically refers to environment variables
and DBD::Oracle

http://perl.apache.org/docs/2.0/user/troubleshooting/troubleshooting.html#C_Libraries_Don_t_See_C__ENV__Entries_Set_by_Perl_Code

Although the same combination runs fine on Linux, does this read like
what you are facing right now?

Sebastian