[csw-users] /opt/csw/bin/lpstat -l -a reports No destinations added

Sebastian Kayser skayser at opencsw.org
Sat Feb 27 10:12:42 CET 2010

gerard wrote on 27.02.2010 07:20:
> On 02/25/10 02:36 AM, Wyche, George PW wrote:
>> %/opt/csw/bin/lpstat -l -a
>> lpstat: No destinations added.
>>
>> Which is  a dramatically different response compared to
>>
>> %/usr/bin/lpstat -l -a
>> hp accepting requests since Tue May 15, 12:43:38 2007
>> _default accepting requests since Feb 24, 18:09:13 2010
>>
>> What do I have to do to make "lp" work?
>>
>> - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
>> I did a "man lpstat" and it mentioned /etc/printers.conf so I took the
>> liberty of copying it to /opt/csw/etc/ and then rebooted, but there was
>> no change it operation.
>>

> did you try to populate /etc/opt/csw/cups/client.conf ? i have:
> ServerName printserver-ip
>
> /opt/csw/bin/lpstat search for cups printer, and sun lp search for sun
> lpd. On my sunrays servers, i finally decide to rename all sun lp
> commands to use only cups lp commands, something like:
> mv /usr/bin/lpstat /usr/bin/lpstat-sun
> ln -s /opt/csw/bin/lpstat /usr/bin/lpstat
> it's working better than Sun lp...

After some initial troubles with the Solaris lp system, I also decided
to completely substitute it with CSWcups on all of our Sun Ray Server.
After several people seem to do the same (or at least would like to), I
just documented the script snippets which we use to do so in the Wiki.

  http://wiki.opencsw.org/cups-package

Your mileage may vary, it works very well for us though. Feel free to
provide feedback which should be integrated into the Wiki.

HTH

Sebastian