[csw-users] Puppet package, was: Re: [csw-pkgrequests] package request

Claus Divossen claus.divossen at t-online.de
Tue Mar 2 12:59:38 CET 2010

Hi Gary,

there are two things I noticed about the Puppet package:

1) On Solaris 9, the puppetd service is not setup correctly. The
postinstall skript finishes with "chroot: No such file or directory",
because it tries to invoke the svccfg and svcadm commands from SMF,
which don't exist in Solaris 9. A regular init style script had to be
created instead.

2) The preinstall skript creates the group and user "puppet" with
unspecified gid/uid. This is not a nice thing in our environment (using
LDAP for user management), because the "randomly" selected uid/gid might
get assigned to a real person later on. We could work around this by
creating the puppet user in advance, beforce installing the packet, but
I don't see a point in creating this user at all, because the puppetd
has to run as root anyway. A dedicated puppet user is appropriate for
the puppetmasterd, on the central puppet server, but it is not required
on each client. (And for the server, puppetmasterd has the "--mkuser"
option which takes care of that.)

Best Regards,
  Claus