[csw-users] important change: length of software names

Philip Brown phil at bolthole.com
Mon Nov 1 16:48:12 CET 2010

Greetings, OpenCSW users,

We are considering making a change to a long-time standard for CSW
packages. It has been proposed that we raise the maximum length limit
on our software names, to be the full length supported by Solaris 9
and 10.

This means that PKG names would be allowed to be 32 chars long. which
means catalog names, aka "software names", could be up to 29 chars
long
(To match the PKG name, minus the leading "CSW")

While we believe our internal software, and also utilities such as
pkg-get and pkgutil, can be easily modified, we wanted to give the
user community notice in advance, so that there is opportunity for
feedback, if this somehow adversely affects anyone.

If this is the case for you, please let us know. The simplest method
is probably to email this list. However, if you wish, you may
alternatively email me, or the OpenCSW board list.   (board @ ....)

Thank you for your interest, and involvement, in OpenCSW

Philip Brown