[csw-users] Installing OpenCSW via pkgutil, and to /usr/local?

Victor Hooi victorhooi at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 27 03:23:25 CEST 2011

Hi,

I'm the person who asked the original question here:

http://lists.opencsw.org/pipermail/users/2011-July/008950.html

about using pkg-util and OpenCSW as non-root, due to a very locked-down
environment. Thanks to Peter and Ben for their replies =).

I've asked again, and we can install packages (or rather, the sysadmins can
for us), but it will have to be to /usr/local (internal rule), and not
/opt/csw.

Also, I'm not sure whether we could get pkg-util installed, I think it will
be more we give them a directory with packages, and they just run pkgadd on
all of them.

I just want to check if there are any issues with this approach.

Firstly, is there any functional difference with using pkg-util and pkg-add?
I have OpenSolaris installed locally in a VM - I was simply going to run
pkg-util to install everything, get the list of packages from there
(suggestions?), then download all of those into a directory to give to the
sysadmins.

And secondly - will there be issues if they relocate the packages from
/opt/csw to /usr/local (internal rule, unfortunately). Anything we need to
do?

Finally, are there any issues with the order of installation? Normally,
pkg-util would take care of dependency tracking and ordering here, but we're
going with pkgadd. Should I give the sysadmins a particular order to install
in, and if so, how would I go about getting that order via pkg-util on my
local Solaris VM?

Thanks,
Victor