[csw-users] Installing OpenCSW via pkgutil, and to /usr/local?

Peter Bonivart bonivart at opencsw.org
Wed Jul 27 10:32:33 CEST 2011

On Wed, Jul 27, 2011 at 3:23 AM, Victor Hooi <victorhooi at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Firstly, is there any functional difference with using pkg-util and pkg-add?

Not for the actual package installation which is done by pkgadd in
both cases (pkgutil uses pkgadd/pkgrm/pkginfo) so the end result
should be the same.

> I have OpenSolaris installed locally in a VM - I was simply going to run
> pkg-util to install everything, get the list of packages from there
> (suggestions?), then download all of those into a directory to give to the
> sysadmins.

You can use the stream option in pkgutil to make this easier. Something like:

# pkgutil -d --stream python puppet

...would download python and puppet and all their dependencies into a
single package stream. It will also print the required install order
so you can give the sysadmins that.

> And secondly - will there be issues if they relocate the packages from
> /opt/csw to /usr/local (internal rule, unfortunately). Anything we need to
> do?

Yes, as I said previously most packages are not relocatable, that is
they will look for configuration files and libraries in, e.g.,
/etc/opt/csw and /opt/csw/lib. Kind of an odd rule you have there I
would say since both /usr/local and /opt are commonly used to install
3rd party software. It's not like we want to install stuff in
/usr/bin.

> Finally, are there any issues with the order of installation? Normally,
> pkg-util would take care of dependency tracking and ordering here, but we're
> going with pkgadd. Should I give the sysadmins a particular order to install
> in, and if so, how would I go about getting that order via pkg-util on my
> local Solaris VM?

See above.

/peter