[csw-users] Configuration files .CSW extension

Peter Bonivart bonivart at opencsw.org
Tue Mar 15 20:12:24 CET 2011

On Tue, Mar 15, 2011 at 8:05 PM, Mark Creamer <whitetr6 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Sorry for the total noob question but I haven't been able to find this piece
> of information in documentation pages. Some (or maybe all - I only know
> about the few I've installed) of the packages install config files named for
> example [filename].conf.CSW alongside of files without the .CSW, like
> [filename].conf. What is the purpose of the .CSW version of these files. I
> saw this first in Nagios when I installed it from OpenCSW, but when I need
> to change something, I don't know which of the two files to edit.

Look at it as a template, the default file. You do your changes in
foo.conf and when you upgrade the package it will compare the two and
if there's differences foo.conf will be left so when the new package
is installed it will not be overwritten.

During a new installation of a package they will be the same,
foo.conf.CSW is copied to foo.conf.

In short, edit the ones without .CSW. :)

I hope that explains things.

/peter