[csw-users] Samba and Windows 7

Jeffery Small jeff at cjsa.com
Wed Apr 4 22:23:23 CEST 2012

Continuing my hate-hate relationship with Windows, I have a new laptop with
a dual-boot of linux and Windows 7 Home Premium, and I'm trying to get
Windows 7 talking to samba version 3.0.23 on my Sun Sparc machine.  I have
a couple of Windows XP machines that currently communicate just fine with
samba.

Things I have done so far:

    * Added LmCompatibilityLevel == 1 to the Win7 Registry

    * Tried adding the following to smb.conf:

    	client lanman auth  = no
	client NTLMv2       = yes
	client plaintext    = no
	lanman auth         = no
	ntlm auth           = yes

None of this has had any effect.  When I try to access the samba server
with:

	\\<servername>

it reports: "The specified server cannot perform the required operation"

However, this works just fine from the XP machines.

I spent a full day just getting Win7 to (sort of) network with Win XP, and
now I've spent another day working on this samba problem with no results!
Does anyone have any experience with this and can offer a suggestion as to
what needs to be done here?

I see that a new 3.6.1 version of samba has been added to current.  Is there
any reason to think that this would solve the problem?  I hesitate to upgrade
because samba requires a bunch of library upgrades, which will likely affect
other programs that rely upon them and I don't need a new set of problems
since I kinda like the hair I have left! :-)

Thanks.
--
Jeff Small