[csw-users] ruby 1.8 optimization choice

Ben Walton bwalton at opencsw.org
Sat Feb 18 02:37:40 CET 2012

Hi All,

I'm looking at better optimizing ruby 1.8 and seemingly the way to do that
is to drop support for libpthread.  Ruby 1.8 uses green threads and
doesn't actually leverage kernel threads so this seems like an easy
choice...unfortunately, turning off the support can impact libraries
such a tcl/tk.

So the question is: Is anyone using libraries such as tcl/tk from
ruby (eg: CSWruby18-tk)?  Personally, I'm happy to drop it in order to
gain better performance but I'd rather not do so if sites are
depending on it.

Let me know.

(Also, I've picked up ruby 1.9 again and will hopefully have something
useful in the near future.)

Thanks
-Ben
--