[csw-users] re-installing package that's already installed

Larry Siden lsiden at westside-consulting.com
Wed Jan 4 03:23:31 CET 2012

After mucking around with installed files in the mysql5 package to get it
to work, I want to re-install it to get it back into its pristine state and
start again.  Unfortunately, I cannot find any option of pkgutil that does
this.  I thought that pkutil -i -f "force install" might do the trick, but
all it does it list the packages and says they are already installed.  I
tried removing mysql5 with "pkgutil -r -f ..." but it does the same thing,
saying that it and its dependencies are all "in use".

What I'm actually thinking doing is going into /var/sadm/pkg to rename the
package directory to trick pkutil into "thinking" that the package has not
been installed yet and then re-installing it.

Is this the only way to accomplish this or is there a better way?

Larry Siden,
Westside Consulting LLC
westside-consulting.com
734-926-9614