[csw-users] How to run xterm on Solaris 11 on x86

Sebastian Kayser skayser at opencsw.org
Wed Jan 11 22:27:40 CET 2012

* Amitava Dutta <adutta at easylink.com> wrote:
>    but there's no xterm on the machine ;-(
>
>    $ pkg list xterm
>    pkg list: no packages matching 'xterm' installed
>    $ ls /usr/bin/xterm
>    /usr/bin/xterm: No such file or directory
>    any other place I  should look?

Judging from your earlier ldd output your system seems to be missing the
basic X11 library packages. These are usually provided by the OS and
CSWxterm relies on them being present. As I don't have any Solaris 11
exposure, I don't know what the relevant packages would be there, but on
Solaris 10 it's SUNWxwrtl.

Once you've figured out which OS packages you need, you'll most likely
also stumble upon the native Solaris 11 xterm package (if it's not
already part of a bigger meta package).

Sebastian