[csw-users] Roadmap for 2013

Maciej (Matchek) Bliziński maciej at opencsw.org
Sat Nov 24 12:39:49 CET 2012

Most of the year 2012 at OpenCSW was spent trying to keep up to date
with core packages, and testing the new package flow. The unstable
catalog was getting very frequent updates directly from package
maintainers. The dublin catalog was periodically synchronized from the
unstable catalog, until the OpenSSL update came along. The library
update turned out to be non-trivial, and resulted in the dublin
catalog freeze. We have the capacity to rebuilt packages for the
dublin catalog, but most of the new work goes towards new packages.

We’ve created a new catalog called ‘kiel’. It is a snapshot of the
unstable catalog, featuring OpenSSL 1.0.0 and other updates. If you
want OpenSSL 1.0.0, this is the catalog you should use. It will kept
getting periodic updates from unstable, the way the dublin catalog
used to. You need to configure pkgutil to point to the release name.

We’ve also created the next catalog, called ‘bratislava’, which is
currently only a placeholder for some experiments we’re about to make.
We’re still collecting ideas, but the main one is that we’ll build it
from scratch, with some fundamental changes: there will be no
CSWcommon, and everything will be built with GCC by default. We also
want to make it possible to bootstrap OpenCSW at a different prefix
than /opt/csw, allowing others to build their own software stacks
based on our code base.

The progress on the IPS catalog is slow, but the effort is ongoing.

The short outline of our 2013 plans is:

- Keep the ‘stable‘ URL empty for until mid-2013 to make sure that
people notice that they shouldn’t be using it.
- When mid-2013 arrives, promote dublin to stable and promote kiel to testing.
- Build bratislava.
- Build an IPS catalog.

We hope our packages make your life easier. If you feel like talking
to us, hop on the IRC channel.

The same entry on our website:
http://www.opencsw.org/2012/11/roadmap-for-2013/