[csw-users] catalog-format

Maciej Bliziński maciej at opencsw.org
Sat Apr 13 12:30:26 CEST 2013

On Mon, Dec 31, 2012 at 05:45:44PM -0500, Wyche, George             PW wrote:
> [...]

What's link.py? Is it something like linkchecker[1]?

> I already posted a question which was some motivation for my looking into the catalog format.
>
> What *is* on the catalog-format page gives me some direction about arranging for the perl script to work for me with the packages I am making. However, when I find something like this "broken" on the page, then I become less excited, because, "If this is broken, then what else may be wrong?"

We're aware of the problem, the typical scenario applies: people who use
the system already know what they need to know so they don't read the
documentation.

People who need the documentation could fix it, but since they don't
know what's right and what's not, so they can't fix it.

My latest approach is deleting stuff, under the assumption that no
documentation is better than wrong documentation. If there's not
documentation then you can go and ask people or read the code, both of
which will give you the right answer.

So let's maybe do this: when you need information about anything, and
you see a page that looks wrong, let us know here or on IRC and we'll
either confirm that the documentation is up to date, or update it, or
delete it.

In the meantime, I fixed a couple of broken links, but adjusting
redirects. The redirects currently are:

# Backward compatibility redirects
RedirectMatch permanent ^/maintainer-signup$ http://www.opencsw.org/extend-it/signup
RedirectMatch permanent ^/extend-it/request-a-package http://www.opencsw.org/requestPackage
RedirectMatch permanent ^/get-it/pkg-get/?$ http://www.opencsw.org/get-it/pkgutil/
RedirectMatch permanent ^/userguide /manual/
RedirectMatch permanent ^/standards/build_farm$ http://buildfarm.opencsw.org/
RedirectMatch permanent ^/standards/core_principles$ /about/core-principles/
# The broad standards regex needs to be last
RedirectMatch permanent ^/standards http://www.opencsw.org/manual/for-maintainers/

If anyone spots any further broken links, let us know so we can add
appropriate HTTP redirects.

Maciej

[1] http://wummel.github.io/linkchecker/